Monday, May 2, 2011

Love is Greater

I have spent the last two hours trying to find the origin of the quote from Martin Luther King Jr that is all over facebook... "I mourn the loss of thousands or precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." There are many posts that this is a misquote or has been made up. I am a firm believer in facts and as I haven't found where the quote is from I am retracting it.

I am however going to directly quote Martin Luther King Jr from Strength to Love (which I am fairly positive if the other quote exists, it will be in this book), "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction. So when Jesus says to "Love your enemies," he is setting forth a profound and ultimately inescapable admonition."

I have always been a lover, a pacifist, and a peacemaker. One of my 5 strengths from my Strength Finders happens to be Harmony. How appropriate. This doesn't mean it is easy to love the unloveable but Christ gave himself for the world and I pray we take that seriously. He didn't give his life for a select few, for those that go to church every Sunday or tithe 10% each week. He gave his life for everyone. If we should be celebrating a death, it should be Christ's.

My friend Brandt posted a prayer that I would encourage you to think about. I think I was caught up in the beauty of the MLK Jr quote on facebook, which is why I didn't find it's source. I however still believe that Martin Luther King Jr stood on firm ground of non-violence and love.

I also want to say I am not wanting to belittle anyones feelings because what happened on 9/11 was a horrible crime. I am also not saying my way is the right way but I must hold true to my personal beliefs and convictions. I feel Love is much greater than hate.

No comments: