Thursday, September 2, 2010

Two in one day!

I know I posted something already today but I have been thinking a lot since then (good thinking). This afternoon I went to a training for work about having difficult conversations. I am a very non confrontational person. Not only do I avoid confrontation but even when it seeks me out I am so laid back that I don't react how most people would. I don't get offended easily and I don't often become defensive. Though these characteristics are true of me I have been sucked into the "empty pit". Relating this to a previous post, I am a protector and can get sucked into being a "caretaker". Caretaker in this situation means you are constantly trying to help someone but it is draining you personally/professionally because they (and you) have turned you into their personal therapist (which is not part of your job description). I have been the therapist and it really drug me down. Not only was I exhausted at work but I was exhausted in all areas of my life.

Luckily I got out of that situation. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it myself. My boss had to save me (which I am very grateful for). I did attempt to break out of the situation but gave up when my attempts didn't seem to make a difference. I hope that if I find myself in a similar situation in the future that I will not give up on myself and that I can confront that person and set up appropriate boundaries. Maybe I can even avoid being the caretaker.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

hey, I just read this article in Experience Life magazine: Not sure how to post the actual tag for you to go and read it, so i copy/pasted. anyway I have them as a FB "like" too. Experience Life; We've all had them: How do you handle a high-maintenance friend? http://j.mp/bNZxlM
this may be of help too for boundry setting!Love ya