Monday, November 15, 2010

Quarter Life Crisis... this is real

So I have been talking about this topic as a joke with a couple friends but looking deeper into the topic... it is a real problem. I have italicized the characteristics (which I retrieved from wikipedia) that I am personally struggling with...

Characteristics of quarter-life crisis may include:

  • realizing that the pursuits of one's peers are useless
  • confronting their own mortality
  • watching time slowly take its toll on their parents, only to realize they are next
  • insecurity regarding the fact that their actions are meaningless
  • insecurity concerning ability to love themselves, let alone another person
  • insecurity regarding present accomplishments
  • re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
  • lack of friendships or romantic relationships, sexual frustration, and involuntary celibacy
  • disappointment with one's job
  • nostalgia for university, college, high school, middle school or elementary school life
  • tendency to hold stronger opinions
  • boredom with social interactions
  • loss of closeness to high school and college friends
  • financially-rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipatedly high cost of living, etc.)
  • loneliness, depression and suicidal tendencies
  • desire to have children
  • a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than oneself
  • frustration with social skills

As you can see, I am full swing quarter life crisis and pretty much have no optimism for my own life. When will it end?!!?!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Daffney - I have been going through my own quarter life crisis too! I even ordered a random book on it!! I feel your pain!