Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Hiking in the Nice Weather

The last few days have been gorgeous outside!  So I have taken advantage of it.  Monday I went on a 6 mile bike ride, it was fantastic!  Then Tuesday after my final that morning I went on a 3.5 mile hike, which was fun though it could have been a lot better!  The thing about Wyoming is there is still snow anywhere you would go hiking right now.  I went with my roommate Sarah and on the way out it was fine, a lot of snow drifts we walked over.  It wasn't until we were near the end that I kept falling through the snow drifts.  Now when you fall into ice up to your knees, it hurts! 

colorado 

We reached the summit (above) and had some water and granola to let my legs warm up.  This trail is called the summit loop well, there was sooo much snow on the other half of the loop that it turned out being the summit get-to-the-high-point-and-turn-around loop.  There was so much snow on the second half of the loop that we were afraid we wouldn't be able to find the trail and that we would fall into a drift a bit further than a knee, in which case we would be in trouble because Olive isn't a husky and can't pull us out of a chasm.

 olive hiking

Lucky for us (hint the sarcasm), on the way back the sun had warmed the snow we weren't falling through earlier and we just kept going through.  We got really good at getting out of it without losing our shoes!  All around it was a fun hike and we saw some good sights but it would be a lot more enjoyable minus 2 feet of snow!

snow!

No comments: